Response 2 Gottfried Helnwein

The viewpoint changes my interpretation of the image because now I see the complete image within its context which gives me a lot more background information. The change in viewpoint shows me that the man on the rope was a billboard worker/painter and the women is just a picture of a billboard.

When I look at the image I see a young woman who is in a stargaze. The image and the colors used make her look very pale possibly even as if she were sick. When you look at her eyes there is something being reflected by her eyes but I am unable to make out what she is looking at, or what's looking at her. The size of the picture can effect the meaning because it makes the girl a greater symbol within ones life or in the community. With the picture being so big the artist may be trying to convey a very big idea to the community. Or the woman is someone very famous and well known throughout the community. By looking just at the image I am unable to tell if it is one contiguous image or if it is spliced together. The location I think the image is located in is an industrial older city like area. I conclude this because of the building that the girl is shown on. The actual building looks older and has a industrial style/architecture. The intended audience are anyone living or driving through the city, or people interested in the artist' artwork. The mood of the image is distracted, gloomy, and lonely. The expression on the girl's face is neutral, or possibly sad. The girl's facial expression is definitely not engaging or exciting. The title "The Last Girl" suggests she is literally the only girl left to survive a massive death throughout her community. This could also convey she is just lonely and has nobody left to care for her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to the Past